The Statistics Department established the Diversity, Equity & Inclusion (DEI) committee during Summer 2021. The committee is composed of members representing each group within our department (faculty, staff, undergraduate, and graduate students). The representatives of each group are selected by the group they represent and serve in rotation at the DEI committee.
The Statistics Dept. DEI committee aims to take on initiatives that will integrate Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion into the fabric of the department's mission. The committee seeks to build an inclusive community of students, staff, and faculty that values empathy and welfare along with academic and professional achievement. By including DEI concepts into our program-- lectures, research, and mentorship, the committee aims to remove the barriers that prevent many, in particular, BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, People of Color) individuals, women, persons with disabilities, first-gen, low-income students, members of the LGBTQIA+ community, and other underrepresented individuals, from educational opportunity and equity. In addition, the committee believes that diversity and inclusivity are essential to excellence in science, and by creating a more diverse, equitable, and inclusive department, we can serve our members and our communities with better, fairer, and more impactful research.
The Statistics Department DEI committee embraces the unique and rich perspectives and experiences that arise from racial, ethnic, socio-economic, sexual, gender, and religious diversity within our department. In this spirit, the committee is eager to foster an inclusive and welcoming culture and atmosphere for all students, staff, and faculty by accomplishing the following objectives :
- Develop a departmental DEI plan and revisit the plan annually
- Facilitate an annual DEI training for the whole department
- Improve sense of belonging for our diverse student body
- Hold regular discussions with students, staff, and faculty to understand potential barriers and problems undermining equity, and hence excellence, in the department
- Identify, share, and facilitate opportunities for educational and professional growth
- Invite, recruit and retain more underrepresented individuals in our department via faculty hires and efforts to increase the diversity of our student body
- Encourage and officially recognize the dedication of students, staff, and faculty to DEI efforts
- Provide DEI resources to students, staff, and faculty
2021-2022 Committee Members
Faculty Representatives: Analisa Flores and Esra Kurum (co-chairs)
Staff Representatives: Lisa Diaz and Cathy Munoz
Graduate Student Representatives: Christian Duenas, Isaac Quintanilla Salinas, and Brian Tran
Undergraduate Student Representatives: Carmen Kha and Tobias Rasmussen
- Winter 2022 Virtual STAT Alumni Discussion Panel Thursday, 2/24/22, 4-5pm
- Spring 2022 Imposter Syndrome Seminar (Upcoming)
EventsThere's always something going on at UCR! Check out the events below to find out what's going on with us and our partners across campus!